This beautiful Victorian 9ct solid gold curb link bracelet has nice thick links and a charming heart shaped padlock clasp. The bracelet has the lovely rosy glow seen in antique gold and it is absolutely overloaded with large polished chunks of natural Baltic amber 'charms'.
An absolute classic these watch chain style bracelets with heart padlocks were a popular and enduring engagement gift during the sentimental Victorian era. The original sweetheart bracelet, the heart padlock proclaimed "you have my heart". Ancient amber with its protective qualities was thought to bring about good luck and fortune, not surprisingly this natural material full of mystery also found its way into romantic jewelry of the day.
There are 35 amber charms on this bracelet and no key is required to open the padlock, the top simply pushes in at the nub to open and then snaps tightly closed when pushed down. The padlock is fully detachable from the bracelet so its lovely to find them still together after all these years and the bracelet has the added benefit of its original safety chain.
To say this is lovely is an understatement and it is as wearable today as it was over 100 years ago. Perfect as a signature piece, a truly outstanding antique charm bracelet, very unusual!
MATERIALS: 9ct gold throughout including head pins and jump rings, acid tested
GEMSTONE: natural amber, 35 chunks approx. median size 14x7x6mm, very strong florescence under UV light
MEASUREMENTS: Bracelet 8" (20.5cm) length, links measure approx 8x5mm and 2.2mm thick. Padlock 18x13mm. Safety chain 2-3/4" (70mm)
WEIGHT: 37.5 grams, the amber is extremely lightweight so most of the weight can be considered gold
HALLMARKS: Stamped '9' on the padlock shackle and on both oval end rings at the clasp
DATE: Victorian 1837-1901
CONDITION: Very very good antique condition with expected signs of age and normal wear with nothing untoward. The padlock in perfect working order, there is some slight chipping here and there to the edges of some of the amber nuggets.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details and return procedures can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.