Absolutely fantastic Essex crystal sporting themed sterling silver charm bracelet.
This iconically styled art deco bracelet features 6 glass domed crystal intaglio charms that are reverse painted in enamel against iridescent mother of pearl backgrounds so they appear to float when viewed from the side.
Exceptional skill and workmanship at work, these crystal intaglios were laboriously painted using brushes of only two or three hairs. The six intaglios are all different with the period images evoking the jazz age perfectly.
There is a full portrait of an Airedale terrier with another depicting just the head. There is a horse and jockey, a foxes head, a horses head and a golfer wearing "plus fours". This is extraordinary and rare piece!
Popularly known as "Essex" crystals this art form is named after Sir William Essex who was Queen Victoria's miniature animal portraitist. The technique became wildly popular in jewelry both for men and women with animals being highly sought after, collected and cherished today!
This bracelet measures 7-1/2" long including the spring ring. Hallmarked "Sterling" on clasp. The crystals are 1/2" in diameter.
Condition is excellent antique with the images still vibrant and no chips of cracks to the crystal. There is minor enamel loss in places under magnification and slight spotting here and there which is to be expected given age and does not detract.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.