A wonderful mid-century sterling silver necklace pendant and matching earring set by Margot de Taxco (Margot Van Voorhies) in a striking curved ribbon and ball modernist design.
Superb quality in heavy gauge silver the pendant has a built in bail at the back which will accommodate a wide variety of chain styles and weights, it also has a pin back for wear as a brooch should you wish to. The pendant measures 2" high and 1-3/4" wide (50x45mm) and weighs 38 grams. The matching earrings measure 1" by 7/8" (25x22mm) and weigh 12 grams. All pieces are fully marked with the Margot de Taxco stamp, an eagle mark surrounded by the words 'Sterling' and 'Mexico' along with the design number '5247'.
Condition is excellent. The sturdy pin back on the pendant has lots of room behind, great for gathering heavy fabrics and scarves. The clip backs on the earrings are in perfect working order and they are surprisingly comfy to wear. Superb vintage patina to the silver, just a fabulous set all round!
We have added a fine quality Italian sterling silver vintage omega chain to complete the set. The chain is flat and measures 6mm wide, it pairs flawlessly with the pendant which, sits perfectly. The chain measures 16" (41cm) and is hallmarked '925' and 'Italy', it weighs 27 grams.
Margot Van Voorhies Carr was one of the classic designers of old Taxco, Mexico and a star pupil of Georg Jensen.
Provenance: This set was purchased in North Carolina from the estate of Lolly Commanday. Ms Commanday was a prolific collector of old Taxco silver jewelry and many of her pieces are featured in books that chronicle this Mexican art form.
Each item in our Mercy Madge shop is carefully hand selected by us, for you. The pieces of jewelry we offer are old treasures and we rarely find two identical, once they are gone, they are truly gone and you may never find another!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.