Incredibly detailed this 1940s silver crab brooch by the American maker Walter Lampl is pretty rare. The Walter Lampl company was only active between 1921-1959 and their designs are treasured by jewelry historians and collectors for their intricacy and quirkiness and this novelty brooch is no exception!
The company is particularly famous for the 'Bundles for Britain' silver and enamel charm which was sold in the US during WWII to raise funds for the British War Relief Society.
Walter Lampl jewelry is hard to come by and this unique little figural brooch is high quality and solidly constructed featuring cut out fretwork for a three dimensional effect.
It measures 2" wide and 1-1/2" tall and is in excellent condition with no flaws, any dark marks are camera shadow. Marks include 'STERLING' and 'WL' in a shield shape punch which helps date it to the 1940s. Weighs 12 grams. Desirable, highly collectible and adorable!
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.