The stones were manufactured in the Gablonz region of Bohemia (Czechoslovakia) during the mid to late 19th century. They were created by mixing real molten gold into sapphire blue glass. By the 1920s rising gold costs lead to the cessation of their manufacture resulting in antique saphiret jewelry becoming highly collectible and quite valuable today.
Rendered in sterling silver the necklace is beautifully detailed with silver flower motifs all the way around. The oval stones are cabochon cut with flat backs with the central stone accented by an engraved cut out border. The necklace fastens with a slide in clasp decorated with a round saphiret.
The stones in the necklace are particularly fine examples with a high gold content giving them their dense distinctive color. They display a deep amber/copper red glow with an intense iridescent blue speckle throughout, absolutely stunning and difficult to pick up the true ethereal and mystic effect with our camera!
MATERIALS: Sterling Silver.
GEMSTONES: 10 dragons breath saphirets, central stone 33x25mm, side stones 20x11mm by 6.5mm deep, clasp stone 10mm
MEASUREMENTS: 17 inches long (approx. 44cm).
HALLMARKS: stamped 'Sterling' in two places.
WEIGHT: 46 grams.
ERA: Transitional Edwardian/Art Deco, circa 1910
CONDITION: Excellent with no chipping or cracks to the stones and the clasp in perfect working order.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.