A beautiful 15ct gold Georgian mourning pendant dating to around 1830 and hailing from England. The pendant is a larger size with a slim profile and it has a locket compartment in the front containing the dark blonde woven hair of the dearly departed.
Superb quality with meticulous attention to detail the pendant is fashioned in a pocket watch design with a floral carved gold frame and large beaded suspension at the top. The woven hair is surrounded by the words "In Memory Of" in black enamel script against a etched background. A charming bee motif decorates the bottom. It features a 'winder' top fashioned as a flower head.
The back of the pendant is decorated in machine turned engraving in a geometric pattern with a central round blank cartouche in the center for engraving with initials should you wish. The pendant acid tests as solid 15ct gold throughout apart from the bale at the top which is gold cased. This is typical with these large antique pendants of the era, the bales are given a metal core for strength and long lasting wear.
We have added a new 18" (46cm) gold vermeil (gold plated sterling silver) Belcher chain for wear as a pendant. . Our chains are manufactured in the Italy and are high quality and fully hallmarked. With its elegant round links the Belcher or rolo chain is one of the most enduring antique chain styles still available today, perfect for wear with these pendant lockets.
MATERIALS: 14-15ct yellow gold, tested
ERA: Georgian/Victorian circa 1830
MEASUREMENTS: 1 - 7/8" high and 1-1/4" wide (46x34mm) and 5mm deep.
WEIGHT: 9.5 grams
CONDITION: Offered in excellent antique condition, the black enamel is in incredible condition with minimal signs of loss. There are a few minor surface dings to the soft gold on the back, nothing detrimental. The hair is braided and still intact with no signs of deterioration and the glass front is in perfect condition.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.