A superb late Georgian early Victorian 14 ct yellow gold mourning pendant circa 1830.
Rendered in a pocket watch design with an elegant slim profile the pendant has a locket compartment in the front holding woven hair behind a pane of glass. Around the hair black enamel letters spell out "In Memory Of" in gothic script ending with a charming bee motif. In sentimental antique jewelry the bee symbolizes industriousness, a gentle reminder perhaps for the wearer to stay busy and not dwell upon her grief.
The back of the pendant is guilloche engraved in a geometric pattern with a round blank cartouche in the center for personalizing. The pendant is framed in a exquisitely decorative carved gold gilt (sterling silver with a gold overlay) frame in a scroll pattern. It has a 'winder' top fashioned as a flower and a large suspension ring bail adorned with little gold beads.
Meticulous attention to detail, this is a particularly fine example of an antique mourning pendant, superb workmanship in top notch condition, one of the best we have ever had the pleasure in offering.
We have added a new gold vermeil (gold plated sterling silver) chain for immediate wear. Our chains are manufactured in Italy and are fully hallmarked and fine quality.
MATERIALS: Tested, 14ct gold pendant front, back and hair compartment with a sterling silver gold gilt frame.
DATE: 1830, Late Georgian, early Victorian.
MEASUREMENTS: 1 - 7/8" high and 1-1/4" wide (46x34mm) and 5mm deep.
WEIGHT: 9.4 grams
CONDITION: Offered in excellent antique condition, the black enamel is in incredible condition with minimal signs of loss. There are a few minor surface dings to the soft gold on the back, nothing detrimental. The hair is braided and still intact with no signs of deterioration and the glass front is in perfect condition.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.