Magnificent this stunning and huge 18th century silver French cross features exquisitely cut paste stones in an ornate framework.
The stones "black dot pastes" were created by painting black dots on the foiled backs of lead glass pastes to imitate the collate facets of old cut diamonds. It was a popular process during the Georgian era when the jewels dazzled in candlelight. Highly collectible, a rare survivor and oh so desirable!
Materials: Sterling silver, black dot paste stones
Size: 3 1/8 inches (80mm) high and 2 inches (52mm) across
Era: Georgian 1714-1830
Condition: At around 250 years old the cross is in good antique condition commensurate with age and perfectly wearable. All original with no attempt at restoration, we leave that to the new owner, if desired. The curly flourishes around the edges are mostly intact with only a couple of areas of loss, one at the 2 o'clock position and another at the bottom section under the pear shaped stone. There are 3 of the tiny pastes missing and there is residue of old glue around another of them. The 5 large signature pastes are in excellent condition and their foiled backings are all bright and clear free from any tarnishing or signs of ageing. The silver work has a couple of tiny holes, it is clean and gleams with the gorgeous antique patina that only great age and wear can impart.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.