Hallmarked for Chester 1888 this wonderful antique signet ring is rendered in 9ct rose gold. Band style with engraved ivy leaf panels the ring features inlaid woven hair and a shield monogrammed with the initials "MBS"
The presence of hair hints at this being a mourning ring but it is just as likely to have been worn as a intimate love token, the clinging ivy represented fidelity and eternity to the sentimental Victorians.
Fabulous for wear as a unique signature ring, steeped in poignancy it would also make the perfect gift for the lover of sentimental and mourning jewelry. The hair has been treated with a shellac type coating to ensure long lasting durability which is evidenced by an age of over 130 years!
It is also worth mentioning that Chester assay office closed almost 70 years ago, so gold bearing these hallmarks are particularly desirable and attract a premium. A superb rare antique ring bound to bring endless joy to the new owner!
MATERIALS: 9ct rose gold, human hair
HALLMARKS: '375-9', wheatsheaves for Chester, date letter E for 1888, makers mark is indistinct.
MEASUREMENTS: US 7-3/4, UK P, EU 56. This ring cannot be resized. The band is 7mm wide and 1.53mm thick. The shield measures 9x11mm.
WEIGHT: 3 grams
DATE: 1880's Victorian
CONDITION: Very very good condition with no real flaws, it has been very well cared for with no breaks in the hair and the engraving still crisp. This is a solid ring with the hair completely enclosed in the gold which, has the lovely subtle rosy hue of antique rose gold. Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, any scratches and marks that may appear are actually invisible to the naked eye and dark spots are purely camera reflection.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.