One of the finest Georgian mourning rings we have ever had the pleasure of offering. Superb quality, heavy gauge and in incredible condition, looks to have hardly been worn. Beautifully ornate and highly decorative the signet style ring is rendered in rich buttery 18K gold and engraved inside "James Roy, died 22nd Mar., 1822, age 57"
The front holds a glass fronted compartment containing dark blonde plaited hair flecked with grey. The shank is decorated in gold lettering 'In Memory Of' in gothic script. Perhaps James was a relative of Rob Roy the Scottish outlaw and folk hero, we would like to think so!
This is a solid heavy gauge ring with the front measuring 13.6x15.3mm and the band at the back 5mm wide. The ring weighs 6.06 grams and will fit finger size 7 (US) size N 1/2 (UK) 54 (EU) Bears full English hallmarks: stamped with the head of George III, leopards head for London, a crown and 18 for 18K gold, date letter 'f' Also stamped with maker's mark 'SG'
The ring is in excellent condition, with no enamel loss and no wearing away of the embossed floral decoration. The engraving inside and the hallmarks are still crisp. The glass panel has no chips or cracks.
Comes with the antique ring case from W.M Marshalls & Co. Princess St., Edinburgh as shown. It looks as if the ring has been safely stored in this fitted box for a very long time, hence the near perfect condition.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.