A very special antique Art Nouveau Plique-à-Jour enamel brooch. Although not signed the brooch is possibly a Levinger & Bissinger piece. This German company were known for the characteristic enamelling technique that we see in this brooch, specifically the perfectly executed shading of colour that graduates from green to white into a faint rose.
Circa 1900, the brooch is iconic of sinuous Art Nouveau design and is a miniature work of art. Superb quality, it is rendered in 900 silver with gold gilding and showcases exquisite Plique-à-Jour enamel work, seed pearls and a triangle cut vivid pink tourmaline, a Mississippi freshwater river pearl dangles from the bottom.
Plique-à-jour (French for "letting in daylight") is a jewellery technique where glass enamel is poured into a silver or gold framework and fired so light can shine through the translucent enamelled spaces. Essentially a miniature version of stained-glass, it is an extremely challenging technique with a very high failure rate. German Plique-à-Jour jewellery hailing from the Art Nouveau era is particularly desirable and highly collectable today.
MATERIALS: 900 silver, gold, enamel
GEMSTONES: Pink tourmaline, Presidium tested, natural pearls
MEASUREMENTS: 1-1/2" tall and 1-1/2" wide (4x4cm)
DATE: circa 1900, Art Nouveau/ Jugendstil
WEIGHT: 4.1 grams
MARKS: Stamped "900"
CONDITION: in excellent antique condition with no damage to the enamel and the pin back in perfect working order. We have more photos & video of this piece on our website at www.mercymadge.com
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: 900 Silver, Gold, Natural Pearls, Tourmaline, Plique A Jour Enamel.