A lovely Victorian banded agate Pinchbeck brooch hailing from Scotland.
The agate is flat cut with a bevelled edge and is semi translucent with swirls of rich golden orange shading and natural line inclusions and feathering deep within the stone. It is set into a elegant neoclassical Pinchbeck gold mount that has a t-hinge and c-clasp. A classic antique Scottish brooch, a lovely accent accessory, good for the gents or the ladies. All varieties of Scottish chalcedony (agate) were very popular in Victorian jewellery with "pebble jewellery" became particularly fashionable after Queen Victorian bought Balmoral Castle in Scotland in 1848.
An antique gold substitute "Pinchbeck" is a bright yellow metal alloy that closely resembled the high carat gold of the Georgian era. Invented in the 18th century by Christopher Pinchbeck, a London clockmaker. Pinchbeck jewelry is fairly rare and has become collectible in its own right.
GEMSTONE: chalcedony agate
MEASUREMENTS: 1-3/4" wide, 1-1/2" tall (4.5x3.5cm)
WEIGHT: 14.6 grams
DATE: Victorian, circa 1860
CONDITION: Very good with a little age-related tarnish and wear and the pin back in perfect order. The agate is damage free, the lines are natural inclusions, not cracks. Please see the photos.
Each item in our shop is carefully hand selected by us, for you. The pieces of jewelry we offer are old treasures and we rarely find two identical, once they are gone, they are truly gone and you may never find another!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over $150. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.