Lots of age to this superb mid-Victorian gents silver cameo ring. Likely Italian in origin the carved cameo depicts a classical image of Mars, the Roman God of war and agriculture.
Masculine, the ring is a large impressive size with plenty of presence. The oval cameo is bezel set into a heavy silver mount with wide shoulders that are engraved in an early chased pattern.
A wide flat band completes this aristocratic piece that is bound to become a favorite signature ring that attracts lots of compliments! We like to imagine that it might well have been bought as a memento of the 'The Grand Tour' - a 17th- and 18th-century coming of age custom - when upper-class young men of sufficient means and rank undertook an extended tour of Europe.
MATERIALS: 935 high purity sterling silver.
GEMSTONE: Carved abalone shell/ mother-of-pearl
DATE: 1850, mid Victorian.
SIZE: Size 11-1/2 (US), W-1/2 (UK), 66 (EU).
MEASUREMENTS: Face measures 21x17mm, shoulders 16mm sloping to a 5mm band.
WEIGHT: 11 grams
HALLMARKS: '935' stamped inside band.
CONDITION: Very very good with signs of age and wear as expected in a ring of this age. The cameo features and side engraving on the silver have softened somewhat over time.
Each item in our shop is carefully hand selected by us, for you. The pieces of jewelry we offer are old treasures and we rarely find two identical, once they are gone, they are truly gone and you may never find another!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive beautifully packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.