A unique and culturally rich 'Penca de Balangandan' themed vintage silver charm bracelet. This is an exaggerated, chunky bracelet with 14 large charms representing the history and heritage of slavery in Brazil.
The Blanagandan and charms (penca) of Bahia were worn by black freed slaves and are a significant jewellery tradition in Brazil. They represented the encounter between Portuguese culture and Africans and the charms symbolise good fortune, fertility, happiness and prosperity. Worn since the 17th century these pieces of jewelry had a direct relationship to status and monetary wealth and were highly prized.
The 14 symbolic charms on this bracelet, some of them are the size of a large pendant, are beautifully detailed with shadow work in the recesses.
We have: a figa fist to ward off the evil eye, the "Christ the Redeemer" a famous Brazilian statue, a caricature figure of a pot bellied man in a red hat smoking a pipe, Carmen Miranda (whose hips rock from side to side!), a gourd, a water buffalo, a Creole lady servant, a lucky cat, a pineapple, a hut with palm trees, a coffee bean, a parrot and a sailing ship.
Most of the charms are 800 silver with the curb link bracelet 925 sterling silver. The bracelet fastens with a heavy duty bolt ring, this is a distinctive bracelet with some fairly rare charms, superb quality and highly collectible!
MATERIALS: 800 & 925 sterling silver, acid tested
MEASUREMENTS: length 7" (18cm), the largest charm, the pineapple is 35x15mm, the Creole lady 31mm tall, the figa is 36mm
WEIGHT: 95 grams (3.34 ounces)
HALLMARKS: the figa is stamped Brasil and '800' 'DP' and an anchor symbol. We don't see any other marks
CONDITION: Excellent vintage condition showing minimal wear and the clasp in perfect working order, please see photos
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details and return procedures can be found in our shop FAQ and policy sections.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
Vintage Penca de Balangandan Silver Charm Bracelet. Afro-Brazilian Theme Bracelet, Rare Charm, Figa Hand, Good Fortune Lucky Charm Bracelet