Beautiful Georgian era woven hair and "Pinchbeck" gold wide panel bracelet with a decorative floral embossed front fastening clasp. Worn for mourning or as a sentimental memento of a loved one hair jewelry was hugely popular during the Georgian period 1760-1801 reaching its zenith in the Victorian era.
The floral embossed gold gilt clasp and faceted beads are Pinchbeck metal, an antique gold substitute named after its inventor Christopher Pinchbeck who was a London clockmaker. He invented this metal which looks like high carat gold in the 1720s. Pinchbeck, an alloy of Copper, Zinc and Brass was often gilded in gold so that it retained its bright gold color. Today, true Pinchbeck jewellery is rare and highly collectible in its own right!
The dark blonde hair is woven into an intricate chain design, that is still tightly braided and intact with no signs of fraying. There is an old repair to the hairwork at the back and another near the clasp that can be seen on the photos. The metal work shows some tarnish, to be expected given age but there are no breaks in the metal and the clasp works perfectly and closes securely.
Circa 1790, the bracelet measures 1.25" wide and slightly over 7" in length. An incredible and rare 18th century mourning or sentimental sweetheart bracelet!
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details and return procedures can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.