Circa 1860, this incredible highly ornate swivel locket brooch features a finely carved cameo of St George and the dragon on one side with the other side featuring a large glass compartment holding hair curls and gold thread in the Prince of Wales Feathers design.
This massive Victorian mourning/sentimental hairwork cameo brooch is fashioned on a grand scale, the ornate rococo style frame is rendered in rolled gold. It measures 2-3/4" high by 2-1/2"wide (approx. 70x65mm) with the cameo measuring 2" high by 1-5/8" (50x 43mm) and it weighs a hefty 48.8 grams.
Condition is good, the cameo is free of cracks or chips. The hairwork is still intact and in fine condition with no damage to the glass. The brooch swivels freely and the heavy duty pin back is in perfect working order and strong enough to support the weight. There is a missing leaf decoration near the clasp which isn't particularly noticeable due to the ornateness.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.