Exquisite jugendstil/art nouveau plique-a-jour enamel gold brooch attributed to Levinger & Bissinger, Germany. The brooch is gold vermeil (silver with a heavy gold overlay) and it features superb enamel work. The perfectly executed shading in a graduation from green to white into a faint rose is one of the trademarks of Levinger & Bissinger jewelry.
A miniature work of art this sinuous brooch is set with a trillion/triangle cut intense pink tourmaline and tiny seed pearls, A rare Mississippi river freshwater pearl adorns the fleur de lis at the bottom.
MATERIALS: 900 silver, heavy gold overlay. Plique-a-jour enamel
GEMSTONES: Pink tourmaline, natural seed pearls, natural river pearl
MEASUREMENTS: 1-1/2 inches high and across and 1-1/2 inches across (approx. 38x30mm)
DATE: 1900-Art Nouveau
WEIGHT: 4.1 grams
MARKS: Stamped "900"
CONDITION: Excellent with no damage to the delicate enamel. The gold overlay shows no sign of wear and the pin back in perfect working order.
The enamel technique plique-à-jour (French for "letting in daylight") is a vitreous enamelling technique where translucent enamel is applied in cells so light can shine through. It is in effect a miniature version of stained-glass, it is considered very challenging technically and there is a high failure rate. The technique became very popular during the dawn of the 20th century with art nouveau plique-à-jour jewelry from France and Germany becoming particularly desirable and highly collectible today.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.