One of the largest and finest cameos we have ever seen, breathtaking, museum quality and heirloom worthy!
This huge antique cameo brooch depicts Bacchante. The female follower of Bacchus, she is carved by a highly skilled Italian master carver. The attention to detail is incredible and the shading is exquisite, each lock of hair is eerily lifelike, from her pearl necklace, earrings and feather headdress down to the shadowing around her eye and piercing iris.
Carved from the bullmouth helmet shell circa 1900 she is very much in the emerging Art Nouveau style of the late Victorian era. Superb quality she is framed in a bespoke 10ct rose gold chased and engraved mount that will have been custom made for her.
MATERIALS: 10 carat rose gold
MEASUREMENTS: 2-3/4" high (70mm), 2-1/4" wide (58mm) with a depth of 13.6mm
HALLMARKS: Stamped '10K' on safety clasp
WEIGHT: 23.5 grams
CONDITION: Excellent with no flaws and the carving still as crisp and fresh as the day it was made. The sturdy pin back is in perfect working order.
DATE: c1900, Victorian
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.