Hallmarked in 1884 this beautifully ornate cartwheel shaped silver locket pendant has been cleverly converted from a brooch. Hailing from the Victorian Aesthetic era in Britain it is incredibly detailed in a myriad of different decorative elements and has a striking dark patina settling in the recesses.
The pendant is a fairly large size with a kidney-shaped hinged bale at the top. The reverse of the pendant features a patented removable locket compartment with a black satin liner and a clear acetate cover so you can wear it as it is or insert a favourite photo or keepsake. This lovely pendant suspends from a classic sterling silver Belcher chain that is oxidised to a beautiful antique patina which matches the pendant perfectly.
The pendant is in good antique condition with expected surface wear, minor dents and a few pin-point holes as you might expect in a hollow piece this age but nothing untoward, please see the photos. The locket compartment flips out easily and it is a nice tight fit so it stays safely in place.
A unique and striking Victorian pendant that is bound to take pride of place in your antique jewellry collection!
MATERIALS: sterling silver
MEASUREMENTS: pendant 1-1/2" (3.5cm) diameter, photo compartment 1" (2.3cm), chain 17-1/2" (44cm)
HALLMARKS: pendant 'lion passant' for sterling, 'anchor' for Birmingham, date letter a gothic 'K' for 1884 and the makers mark 'L.S & Co'. Locket compartment stamped 'Walkers Patent'. Chain stamped '925'
WEIGHT: 7.1 grams
DATE: Victorian, circa 1884
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking and insurance.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all items will arrive gift wrapped in a custom Mercy Madge jewellery presentation box.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150/£125. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.