A fantastic large size antique Victorian Scottish brooch with a big fixed jump ring on the back to attach a chain or ribbon so you can wear it as a statement pendant.
Crafted in sterling silver the brooch pendant boasts a large banded carnelian stone in a glowing semi-translucent orange with bands of misty white. The silver setting is equally as beautiful with a scalloped ribbon border and the stone set in lion paw claws.
A wonderful piece and so versatile! We did test drive this brooch as a pendant on a fairly thick chain and it works perfectly, the piece lies nice and flat with the pin back unobtrusive and it doesn't catch on anything.
These grand sized Scottish brooches were all the rage in the mid 1800's. Very large pieces like this were worn with the crinoline and the size decreased as the century progressed. It was the height of the "Scottish Pebble" craze that occurred after Queen Victoria purchased Balmoral Castle in Scotland. She set a fashion trend for Scottish jewellery which became highly collectible and it still remains that way today!
MATERIALS: sterling silver, acid tested
GEMSTONE: banded carnelian agate, 2"/50mm by 1-5/8"/40mm
MEASUREMENTS: 2-1/8" (5.5cm) wide by 1-7/8" (4.7cm) tall
ERA: Victorian, circa 1850
HALLMARKS: none which is typical for Scottish brooches of the era
WEIGHT: 24 grams
CONDITION: in very good antique condition with surface wear in keeping with age and the pin back in good order, please see the photos. Please also note that the chain in the photos is not included
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only, and are not included in the purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in one of our custom Mercy Madge jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $200. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, Scottish Banded Agate.