When Prince Albert died in 1862 there was born a fashion for black jewellery in sympathy with Queen Victoria’s loss. Dyed pressed horn, Whitby jet, French jet (glass) gutta percha and vulcanite were all materials used in the manufacture of the mourning jewellery.
This is a particularly nice example of a pressed horn bracelet with fine detailing, the bas relief embossed oak leaf pattern showcases the moulders art to perfection.
The oak leaf represents strength, endurance, faith and virtue. It was customary in Victorian times to wear a pair of bracelets one on each wrist and we do have the partner to this one should you be tempted into an original pair. Drop us a message for details and pricing.
This is a stretch bracelet and adjustable because it is strung onto cotton covered elastic - just as it would have been over 100 years ago - so it will fit pretty much any wrist size. It measures 7" around at rest. There are 10 panels measuring 1" high and 3/4" wide.
Circa 1870 and condition is very very good. There is age related wear to the horn on the back of the panels but the layers are stable and not flaking off. The front panels are pristine showing no separation. The elastic is new so it is nice and strong with plenty of stretch. A beautiful antique bracelet that is very wearable today and will invite lots of compliments!
Each item in our shop is carefully hand selected by us, for you. The pieces of jewelry we offer are old treasures and we rarely find two identical, once they are gone, they are truly gone and you may never find another!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive beautifully packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.