A beautiful solidly constructed antique Scottish sterling silver shield brooch showcasing a large carnelian agate. The silver is engraved in a pretty scroll design with the agate cabochon cut in a high sided flat topped dome. Gorgeous coloring to the agate, a glossy amber with flecks of blood red.
The Victorians were absolutely fascinated with the natural world and these picturesque examples of Scottish agates were sought after and treasured fueled by Queen Victoria's great love and affection for Scotland and the jewelry created there. "Scottish pebble" brooches became madly popular and very fashionable, those holding particularly big or unusual specimen stones soon became known as "specimen brooches"
The brooch measures 1-1/2" across and weighs 17 grams. There are marks on the back which have been mis-struck so they are difficult to decipher. Acid tests at 925 sterling silver purity. Condition is excellent with no damage to the stone or wear to the silver. The pin back is heavy duty with a tube hinge and c clasp and it is in perfect working order.
Each item in our shop is carefully hand selected by us, for you. The pieces of jewelry we offer are old treasures and we rarely find two identical, once they are gone, they are truly gone and you may never find another!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive beautifully packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.