This beautiful antique sterling silver locket is hallmarked for 1880, the height of the Victorian Aesthetic era. It is a flat oval shape and a large size beautifully decorated in the Japanesque style with engraved lilies and a crane on the front, scalloped sides and silver beadwork frames the image .
The back is plain with an elegant reeded edge and the locket is further enhanced with a softly contoured large teardrop bail. There is plenty of space inside for photos or mementos and the original removable silver frame is present which is hallmarked too.
The locket comes on a wonderful heavy gauge high quality solid silver 20" rolo chain. A truly exquisite Victorian locket necklace bound to bring endless joy to its new owner!
MATERIALS: Sterling Silver
MEASUREMENTS: Locket 2-1/2" long x 1-1/2" wide (approx. 65x38mm), 10mm deep, bail, 15x7mm. Chain 20" (51cm) links 3mm
HALLMARKS: Locket, lion passant for sterling, anchor for Birmingham, date letter gothic 't' for 1880, bail - lion passant, picture ring - lion passant. Chain not hallmarked, tests 925 sterling silver throughout.
WEIGHT: 33 grams
CONDITION: Very very good condition with minor signs of surface wear to be expected from a piece of jewelry this age. One of the tiny silver beads is missing which is barely noticeable. The hinge is in perfect working order and the locket snapping tightly shut with a satisfying snap.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.