Dating to around 1820 these beautiful Georgian Vauxhall Glass silver earrings are rare survivors indeed.
For pierced ears these historic earrings have tiles of beautifully faceted black glass tiles arranged in geometric flower motifs, a delightful tiered design intended to catch candlelight and sparkle enchantingly. The earrings have sterling silver domed hook fittings on the backs which are later conversions.
This lovely feminine flower motif is a characteristic of true period Vauxhall Glass jewellery which was manufactured with leftover glass shards sourced from the old glassworks in Vauxhall, London. The jewellery was sold at the infamous Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens. Part art gallery, part fashion show and part brothel the pleasure gardens operated between the years 1729 and 1859 and defined the city's fashionable nightlife. Pleasure garden tales of concerts, and balloon-flights to drunkenness and debauchery were the talk of Georgian London!
Steeped in history these Regency era gems are a must-have for a Georgian jewellery collector. Not surprisingly due to the fragile nature of glass, true period Vauxhall Glass jewellery is a real rarity!
MATERIALS: sterling silver, tested
GEMSTONES: Vauxhall glass
MEASUREMENTS: flower heads measure 1" (2.3cm) diameter, the hooks are 20mmx8mm
DATE: circa 1820, Georgian
WEIGHT: 6.8 grams, total
CONDITION: given age these earrings are in very very good condition with expected surface wear and a few nibbles to the glass tiles under magnification but no missing tiles. The hand-cut glass tiles aren't perfectly uniform in size or shape as you might expect, the hook backs are securely attached, please see the photos.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, with you in mind. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Vauxhall Glass, Sterling Silver.