Magnificent and massive handcrafted Fredrick Davis (1880-1961) figural double tulip silver brooch featuring carved amethyst flower heads.
An early and fabulous original example of the artistry of Davis, one of the most outstanding figures in the development of the early silver industry in Mexico and a pioneer of the cultural revival of Mexican heritage.This large leaf piece is reminiscent of Vidauratta's work, and he did in fact collaborate with Davis in the design.
This brooch is an exceptional piece of early 20th century Mexican jewelry with an impeccable provenance. If you have ever longed to own a museum quality treasure by the legendary Fred Davis this is your opportunity!
MATERIALS: Sterling silver,
GEMSTONES: Natural carved amethysts. The larger carved tulip measures 1-1/2" high by 1" wide (45x25mm), the smaller tulip measures 1-1/4" high by 1" wide (32x25mm).
MEASUREMENTS: The brooch measures 4-1/2" long by 2" wide, approx. 115x65mm
MARKS: Incised conjoined FD, SILVER, MEXICO WEIGHT: 45.5 grams.
CONDITION: Excellent, this piece has been extremely well cared for with no flaws and no damage or chipping to the stones. The pin back is in perfect working order.
PROVENANCE: This brooch is from the personal collection of Lolly Commanday. Lolly was one of the top US collectors of Taxco silver and many of her pieces are featured in books. It was purchased from her 'living' estate auction before she passed away in 2007.
Each item in our shop is carefully hand selected by us, for you. The pieces of jewelry we offer are old treasures and we rarely find two identical, once they are gone, they are truly gone and you may never find another!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive beautifully packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.