A beautiful antique 9ct gold locket hailing from the Victorian Aesthetic era. The gold is a subtle rosy reddish colour, a gorgeous shade that is characteristic of old gold.
The locket has softly pillowed plump oval profile and it is beautifully hand-engraved in a romantic pattern of sweeping Swallows and climbing Roses on both sides. It opens from the side to reveal 2 stations for photos along with satin and paper liners.
This locket is in lovely antique condition but being so reflective it is very difficult to photograph so please forgive and dark areas that might look like dents but are simply shadows.
We will add a new rose gold vermeil (gold plated sterling silver) Belcher chain so this beauty is ready to wear right out of the box. Our high quality chains are made in Italy and we have them in 16" or 18" lengths so please make a note on your order which length you prefer.
A gorgeous antique locket, perfect for daily wear and steeped in romantic sentiment too. The Swallow is a beloved Victorian jewellery motif that speaks of love and loyalty - Swallows mate for life - and the Rose well, it is the universal flower of love!
This locket is stamped "9ct - Back & Front". 'B&F' lockets were popular in the Victorian era. They are made with a solid gold front and back with the inner rim made from a stronger gold plated metal, typically silver. This construction technique results in a durable locket that can withstand plenty of opening and closing. Antique B&F lockets are essentially 95% gold.
MATERIALS: 9ct gold
MEASUREMENTS: 1-1/4" (3cm) tall without the bale, 1" wide (2.5cm), 7.8mm deep, jump ring 6mm
HALLMARKS: stamped, '9ct - Back & Front'
DATE: circa 1880, Victorian
WEIGHT: 3.7 grams
CONDITION: in very, very good condition with light surface wear on the gold but no detrimental dents or damage. The engraving is still fresh and the locket shuts tightly with a satisfying snap.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all items will arrive gift wrapped in a custom Mercy Madge jewellery presentation box.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: 9ct Rose Gold.