During the Victorian era there was a fashion in the Austro- Hungarian empire for Renaissance inspired jewelry, think of Elizabeth the First in all her sumptuous finery and the style soon comes to mind. This very large chatelaine brooch is a perfect example of the jewelry produced.
Crafted in silver gilt (gold plated silver) it features intricate filigree work and is set with glass Czech stones in rich vibrant jewel colors - paste ruby, emerald and amethysts adorn the top and centre along with glass pearls, coral and jade.
The brooch is constructed in two sections with the top attached to 3 pendant drops, the center section is bejewelled and it terminates in a seal fob with the two side drops ending with a heart shaped padlock and a chalice charm.
A fabulous all original majestic Austro Hungarian jewel, steeped in history and fairly rare. During the Elizabethan age it was the fashion for grand ladies to wear these highly decorative chatelaine brooches pinned to high necklines, just below the ruff, their Victorian counterparts likely wore them in a much more demure fashion !
Materials: Gold plated sterling silver (acid tested)
Gemstones: Paste (glass), emeralds, rubys, amethysts, pearls, jade, coral
Date: Victorian 1837-1901
Hallmarks: None visible
Weight: 27 grams
Size: 4 inches long by 1-1/2 inches wide (105x38mm)
Condition: The brooch is in very very good condition with expected signs of age and slight tarnish. The gold gilding is still very bright so likely a high carat overlay. There is a chip to the very top of the central ruby cabochon that can be seen in the photos and we have adjusted the price accordingly. Because the brooch is so ornate this small flaw is really only noticeable on very close inspection. The brooch has a sturdy pin back in perfect working order.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.