An incredible antique Art Deco brooch depicting "Horus" the ancient Egyptian god of the sky typically depicted in the form of a falcon. Crafted in 935 silver ( a higher grade than sterling at 925) the brooch was likely made in Germany and is superb quality.
Circa 1920 and iconic of Art Deco Egyptian Revival jewellery designs this piece is a miniature work of art. The outspread wings of Horus are set with Plique-a-jour enamel work, the red-orange and green glass enamel cells are accented at the top in a line of sparkling marcasite gemstones. A glowing orange carnelian carved as a scarab beetle is set in the centre of the brooch forming his abdomen and a tiny red ruby serves as his twinkling eye.
The brooch is stamped with a makers mark on the pin stem that is obscured, it looks like an L, W and T in 3 separate square punches. This brooch is in wonderful condition with no damage to the delicate enamel work. We honestly cannot say enough good things about this fabulous jewel!
Plique-à-jour (French for "letting in daylight") is an extremely challenging jewellery technique and German period pieces in particular are very desirable. Couple this with the Art Deco era obsession with all things Egyptian, a craze that began in 1923 when Howard Carter opened Tutankhamen's tomb, then this piece has it all! A must have for your antique jewellery collection!
MATERIALS: 935 silver, enamel
GEMSTONE: Presidium tested, oval carnelian 11x7mm, ruby 1mm diameter
MEASUREMENTS: measures 6.5cm (a tad over 2-1/2") across, 2cm (3/4") tall
DATE: circa 1920-1930, Art Deco
WEIGHT: 8.5 grams
HALLMARKS: stamped "935" along with a makers mark on the pin
CONDITION: in excellent antique condition with no damage to the enamel work and the pin back in perfect working order.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over £150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: 935 Silver, Enamel, Carnelian, Ruby, Marcasite