Inspired by nature, a sleek and stylish American Arts & Crafts vintage sterling silver figural Stingray (Alocasia) leaf brooch that we estimate to date to around 1930-40.
This is an intriguing signed piece with an uncertain provenance. We did think it might have been made by Janet Payne Bowles (1872-1948) an American Arts and Crafts metalsmith and jewellery designer who gained an international reputation for her unusual metalwork. However, she had little commercial success during her lifetime so we have very little to base this idea on.
The brooch is quite a large size, it is beautifully modelled in heavy gauge silver and we just love the fabulous hammered design that is unfussy yet still manages to make a statement. Hand crafted it measures 3" (7.5cm) tall and 1-1/4" (3.4cm) wide and weighs 12 grams. It has a sturdy pin back with a safety clasp and is stamped "M Bowles" "Sterling" and "Handwrought" on the reverse.
A unique piece of American Arts & Crafts jewellery and a distinctive silver accent accessory, good for the gents or the ladies, it is in beautiful condition with no flaws.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.