Beautiful Edwardian 9 carat rose gold double-sided glass photo locket hallmarked for Chester 1905. This lovely round locket has a decorative reeded top that unscrews to access the two photos inside. Currently there are two very sweet sepia portraits inside, back to back, of an Edwardian lady and a toddler so the locket can be enjoyed as is or you could replace them with your own.
The gold is the lovely subtle shade of antique rose gold with both the frame and top stamped with full Chester hallmarks. It is a real treat to see gold from Chester, the assay office closed many many moons ago and these rare hallmarks are desirable and attract a premium.
The locket benefits immensely from having very thick early plexiglass covers making for a durable locket that can stand the rigors of modern wear. Acrylic glass, first used in the 1880s, is virtually indestructible, it is crack and scratch resistant and won't yellow, a huge bonus since once the glass is broken in these lockets it is virtually impossible to find a replacement the correct size and gauge.
The locket opens by gently unscrewing the bail at the top allowing access to the photo compartment inside. The glass covers have beveled edges that fit the frame perfectly, they have straight backs so are best for photos and other flat keepsakes like pressed flowers.
The screw mechanism at the top of the locket is sturdy and aligns perfectly to close the locket and it screws back snugly to keep the contents secure.
We have added a new 18" rose gold vermeil (gold plated sterling silver) Belcher chain for immediate wear. Our chains are made in Italy, they are high quality and fully hallmarked. The Belcher or rolo chain with its elegant round links is one of the most popular antique style neck chains still available today and they are perfect for these antique lockets.
MEASUREMENTS: Locket, 1-1/2 inches high and 1" wide (40x25mm), outer depth 3.5mm. Chain 18" (45cm)
DATE: Edwardian, 1905.
HALLMARKS: Locket bail and frame both stamped with 'wheatsheaves' for Chester '9-375' and date letter 'D', makers mark 'HG&S Ltd.'
WEIGHT: Total weight 7 grams, locket 4.5 grams, chain 2.5 grams.
CONDITION: Excellent condition with no scratches to the acrylic glass or dents in the frame. The photos are quite aged with spotting and surface loss to the picture of the little girl.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details and return procedures can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.