A sublime antique Victorian 58" long-guard chain with a generously sized swivel clip all crafted in a warm rose rolled gold.
A bold statement in femininity this beautiful chain is a classic "Belcher", its handsome round links are faceted in a diamond pattern which adds a lovely sparkle. Every alternate link is soldered to its neighbour forming joined double links. This construction technique results in an extremely strong chain to safely hold the bulky accessories that Victorian ladies often liked to attach to their long-guard chains!
At a smidgen less than 58" inches in total length and heavy gauge this versatile chain is a beautiful subtle antique rose gold colour. It has interest whether worn long, doubled or tripled, add a locket or pendant or not! This is a substantial antique rolled gold/gold filled guard chain that you will wear forever!
During the Georgian and Victorian eras these versatile chains were one of several jewels worn at the same time and they were used to attach and keep close to hand all manner of necessary things like pocket watches, muffs, lorgnettes and even portrait miniatures.
Antique rolled gold is typically of very high quality and is usually at least 5% gold by weight. It is made by mechanically bonding a heavy layer of solid gold over a base metal (often sterling silver) and the resulting finish (100x thicker than gold plating) is saturated in colour and very durable. It looks and feels like solid gold jewellery without breaking the bank!
MATERIALS: 9ct rolled gold throughout
MEASUREMENTS: measures 29" (75cm) down each side including the dog-clip. Total length of the chain itself is 57-1/2" (146cm), links 3mm diameter, swivel dog-clip 25x9cm
MARKS: stamped 'GA Ltd' on the dog-clip
WEIGHT: 42.2 grams.
DATE: Victorian, circa 1880
CONDITION: in very, very good antique condition with light tarnish and minimal wear to the gold overlay. The chain has no broken or damaged links and the swivel clip is in good working order closing securely
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only, and are not included in the purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in one of our custom Mercy Madge jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over £125/$150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: 9ct Rose Gold.