A beautifully attractive, fairly large sized antique steel buckle. Cut steel jewelry was the height of fashion during the Georgian era and held on to its popularity right into the Victorian age. Its popularity was mainly due to how such pieces gleamed like silver and sparkled like diamonds in the candlelight.
Circa 1830, the buckle is constructed in two pieces with a gently curved profile and it is composed in a "giardinetti" (garden) design depicting a stylised amphora holding 3 blooms. There are 12 facets to the steel beads which, were known as mushrooms. The mushrooms are riveted onto the back plate which shows an earlier age, late Victorian ones weren't as good quality and didn't have as many facets cut into the beads.
The buckle is in very very good condition with no missing beads, a little age related patina, as you would expect, but no rust or corrosion. It measures 2-3/4" by 2" (70x50mm) and is stamped "Made in France" on the back. Weight 23 grams. Fabulous buckle and would make a spectacular bracelet or even choker with the addition of a velvet ribbon!
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details and return procedures can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.