A beautiful antique Victorian rolled gold elegant guard chain with fabulous fancy links. The original dog-clip that was attached to the chain had become damaged so we have replaced it with a solid 9ct gold antique clip that matches the colour of the chain perfectly!
Beautifully decorative the chain has sets of 3 lovers knot links separated by a trombone link at each side. This configuration of 3 short links connected by a longer link was called a "fetter chain" and it results in a strong and very stylish chain. The chain is a versatile 54" long and the gold is a subtle reddish rose colour, a lovely shade that is characteristic of old gold.
Antique "rolled gold" is typically of very high quality. It was made by mechanically bonding a heavy layer of solid gold over a base metal (often silver) and the resulting finish (100x thicker than gold plating) is saturated in colour and very durable. It looks and feels like solid gold jewellery without breaking the bank!
A wonderful antique chain, add a locket or a pendant or not, it has interest whether worn long or doubled. During the Georgian and Victorian eras these versatile chains were one of several jewels worn at the same time. They were used to attach and keep close at hand all manner of things like pocket watches, spectacles and muffs. They are still as stylish and eminently wearable today!
MATERIALS: chain 9ct rolled gold, dog-clip solid 9ct gold
MEASUREMENTS: Measures 54" (136cm) in total length (27" (68cm) down each side), width 3mm, dog-clip 22x8mm, bar links 11mm long
HALLMARKS: chain link stamped 'ACME', the dog-clip isn't marked and we have acid tested and confirmed it is solid 9ct gold
WEIGHT: 23.7 grams
DATE: Victorian, circa 1900
CONDITION: the chain is in excellent antique condition with light surface wear and a little aged tarnish as you might expect. It is free flowing with no broken links and the clip is in good order and works as it should. Please note that the fob shown is not included.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only, and are not included in the purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in one of our custom Mercy Madge jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over £125/$150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Rolled Gold Chain, Solid 9ct Gold Clip.