A wonderful high Victorian antique Scottish agate brooch in the form of a lovers Gordian knot (one so entwined that it will never come apart).
The oval brooch is crafted in silver gilt (heavy gold plated sterling silver) that is beautifully hand engraved and set with slices of Montrose Blue banded agate. It is composed in 4 stacked oval rings, 2 on one side and 2 on the other side giving a fabulous dimensional effect. Lovely quality and heavy for size in thick gauge silver it fastens with a sturdy pin and c-clasp.
This sentimental love knot design was very fashionable in the 1870's at the height of the "Scottish Pebble" craze that occurred after Queen Victoria purchased Balmoral Castle in Scotland. She set a fashion trend for Scottish jewellery which became highly collectable and it still remains that way today!
MATERIALS: silver gilt (gold plated sterling silver), acid tested
GEMSTONE: banded agate (Montrose Blue)
MEASUREMENTS: 1-3/4" (4.4cm) across, stands roughly 1" high (2.5cm)
WEIGHT: 14 grams
DATE: Victorian, circa 1870
HALLMARKS: None, as is typical with these early pieces
CONDITION: In beautiful antique condition with just light surface wear and expected signs of age, the agates free of any damage and secure in the setting and the gold plate is intact, please see photos. The pin back is in perfect working order
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique cases in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over £150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog