A striking rolled gold/gold filled antique Scottish banded agate brooch circa 1910.
Crafted by hand the brooch boasts a flat cut oval slice of semi-translucent chalcedony with a bevelled edge. The unique stone has beautiful swirled bands of rich golden orange and white shading with natural linear inclusions and feathering deep within. It is mounted into a elegant sawtooth bezel and kite/lozenge- shape claws. The reverse has a heavy duty pin back with a t-hinge and c-clasp.
All varieties of chalcedony (agates, carnelians, bloodstones) are very popular in Scottish jewellery. "Scottish pebble jewellery" became particularly fashionable after Queen Victoria bought Balmoral Castle in Scotland. She set a fashion craze for Scottish jewellery which became highly collectable and it still remains that way today!
MATERIALS: rolled gold/gold filled
GEMSTONE: banded carnelian
MEASUREMENTS: 1-3/4" wide, 1-1/2" tall (4.5x3.5cm)
WEIGHT: 14.6 grams
DATE: Edwardian circa, 1910
CONDITION: in very good condition with no wearing away of the rolled gold and the pin back in perfect order. The agate is damage free, the lines are natural inclusions, not cracks.
Each item in our shop is carefully hand selected by us, for you. The pieces of jewelry we offer are old treasures and we rarely find two identical, once they are gone, they are truly gone and you may never find another!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over $150. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
Materials: Carnelian Banded Agate, Rolled Gold.