Although the makers marks on this antique Celtic plaid brooch are obscured we believe it could be an Alexander Ritchie (1862–1941) piece. Along with his wife Euphemia, Ritchie operated a silversmithing workshop on the Isle of Iona, Scotland producing Arts & Crafts jewellery in Celtic designs. This continuous Celtic knotwork braided pattern seen here is a known Ritchie design for ring brooches, an example can seen on the Alexander Ritchie tribute website at http://www.alexander-ritchie.co.uk/ring_brooch.htm
This is a annular or ring brooch formed in a closed circle with a fixed hinged pin (penannular brooches have open terminals and pins that move around the ring). It is a fairly large size for this type of brooch and is crafted in thick gauge sterling silver. Celtic ring brooches date back to antiquity and they are a traditional and way of fastening plaids and tartans. Typically they are worn by both men and women, usually at the shoulder by men and on the breast by women.
A fabulous and highly collectible Arts & Crafts Scottish silver Celtic brooch, good for the gents or the ladies!
MATERIALS: Sterling silver
MEASUREMENTS: 1-1/2" across and 1-1/2" from top to bottom (38mm) with the pin stem measuring 1-7/8" (58mm)
WEIGHT: 17.7 grams
DATE: circa 1930
HALLMARKS: stamped 'SILVER' & '5' and some other marks that are worn
CONDITION: in very good antique condition with light surface wear and faint scratches as you might expect in a piece this age. The heavy duty hinged pin is strong and sturdy and in perfect working order. In original condition, many of these antique silver plaid brooches have had modern pin backs soldered onto them.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Our photographs are taken in extreme close-up to show you every tiny detail. Any flaws are greatly magnified so they won’t be nearly as noticeable to the naked eye and reflections caused by bright lighting can cast to dark spots and discoloured areas that don't exist in real life.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway, please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.