Wonderful antique Edwardian sterling silver vesta case with striker bearing desirable Chester hallmarks for 1905.
A rare piece of silver manufactured by Boots the Chemist an iconic British retail store, we have added a new 24" sterling chain for wear as as a keepsake pendant. Our chains are made in Italy, high quality and have an oxidised antiqued finish which is perfect for wear with our antique pendants.
The vesta features a pretty engraved ivy pattern on the back with the front engraved with ferns along with a decorative "SWJ" intertwined monogram. Originally created to carry matches, it has a striker on the bottom and still opens seamlessly and closes tightly and securely - a great place to store a photograph, or a keepsake piece - anything you fancy, such a versatile statement piece and so rich in history!
MATERIALS: Sterling silver throughout, vesta and chain.
MEASUREMENTS: 2-1/4" high, 1-1/2" wide (58x38mm) and 10mm deep. Chain 24" (61cm)
HALLMARKS: Vesta, stamped on rim: wheatsheaves for Chester, lion passant for sterling, date letter 'E' for 1905 and makers mark 'BPDC' for Boots Pure Drug Company. Stamped on lid: lion passant, date letter 'E' . Chain stamped '925', 'star' symbol, 'AR' and '62S'
WEIGHT: 26 grams
CONDITION: Very, very good condition with expected signs of antique age and use. A couple of minor dents, nothing detrimental, lid closes tightly and the engraving still lovely and crisp.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.