This impressive heavy duty antique sterling silver pocket watch chain boasts a 1918 enamelled silver fob decorated with the Glasgow city coat of arms along with the motto 'Let Glasgow Flourish'
The heavy duty chain features both trombone and oval links. This configuration is known as a fetter or snaffle chain and it's a welcome variation from the typical curb chain. Almost every link is stamped with a British lion passant for sterling silver which is always a sign of a good quality chain, and it has the requisite T-bar and large dog-clip at either end.
The fob medal is just as decorative, it is beautifully engraved and has an enamelled Glasgow coat of arms in the center and with a pair of wings accenting the top. The back is engraved "Billiard Tournament 1918 J. Mc C"
An unusual and desirable pocket watch chain that's the perfect length to wrap around the wrist to wear as a chunky statement bracelet.
MATERIALS: sterling silver throughout
MEASUREMENTS: The chain measures 14-1/2" (37cm) from the T-bar to the end clip (laid flat it measures 17-1/2" end to end). The drop measures roughly 5" (13cm) from the T-bar to the bottom of the fob. The fob is 1-5/8" (4.2cm) tall and 1" (3cm) wide.
WEIGHT: 53.6 grams
HALLMARKS: 'lion passant', makers mark "CDB" throughout chain, T-bar stamped 'RP' & 'SS', clip stamped '925'. Fob stamped 'lion passant', 'anchor' for Birmingham, date letter 'S' for 1917 and makers mark ' WA'
DATE: 1917, Edwardian
CONDITION: in good antique condition with expected signs of use and moderate wear between the links, please see the photos. The dog-clip is in perfect working order and the enamelling on the fob is still vibrant with minimal, if any loss.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only, and are not included in the purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in one of our custom Mercy Madge jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, Enamel.