Circa 1830 this large antique English Vauxhall glass flower pendant looks surprisingly modern and is as desirable and wearable today as it was when it was made, almost 200 years ago!
Dating to the Georgian Regency or early Victorian era the pendant is constructed from beautifully faceted tiles of highly reflective black glass that has a deep red luminosity in certain light. It is dimensional with the glass navettes stacked four tiers high on a brass backing plate which has a black lacquer coating.
The pendant is in a flower form with a squared outline that resembles the shape of a Maltese cross. Vauxhall glass, known as French Jet in France, was manufactured during the 18th century in the Vauxhall glassworks a factory that was situated on the Albert Embankment in the Lambeth area of London. It was a very expensive material at the time and its glowing luminescence was perfect for jewelry worn in candlelight and of course the black color was perfect for wear during the mourning period.
The pendant measures a tad under 2" high and 1-3/4" wide and it is in very very good antique condition with no real flaws. A few tiny nibbles from the edges of a few glass tiles that are only visible under magnification and to be expected given age. The black lacquer on the back has worn through to the brass in places. We have added a vintage 19" sterling silver chain and jump ring for immediate wear. A beautiful and elegant Regency gem and a rare survivor!
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.