This exceptional antique sterling silver Victorian Scottish grouse foot kilt pin is a very large size and a superb quality piece.
Large antique grouse foot pins like this magnificent example were originally part of highland traditional dress along with sporrans, belts, buckles and brooches and they were worn by men on the kilt rather than the smaller more feminine versions that were worn by the ladies. The grouse is the national bird of Scotland.
The grouse foot has very long slender scaly claws and dappled brown feathers, it is mounted in a beautifully engraved elegant sterling silver cuff that is set with pale purple faceted amethyst in a rex/crown gallery. A regal amethyst set ring adorns the middle toe. The amethysts have been tested and verified using the Presidium Gemstone Tester.
A fabulous example of this type of exceptional Scottish jewellery and a real treat to find a genuine Victorian example too. Traditionally worn on scarves, hats and coats as well as kilts grouse foot pins were very fashionable attire worn by well heeled attendees at game shooting parties held at Scottish country estates. The pins were worn as good luck charms to bring luck to the hunt – but obviously, not to the poor old grouse!
Whether you’re looking for an impressive antique pin to wear on a kilt or a unique statement brooch for your winter jacket this may be just the ticket, highly collectible too!
MATERIALS: sterling silver throughout, acid tested
GEMSTONE: 2 amethysts: cuff gemstone measuring 15.5x12.5mm, ring gemstone 6mm diameter
MEASUREMENTS: 4-1/8" (10.5cm) long
HALLMARKS: none as is typical in early Scottish pieces
DATE: Victorian circa, 1870
WEIGHT: 12.3 grams
CONDITION: in remarkable antique condition!
At Mercy Madge we offer antique and vintage jewellery that is special and each piece is hand selected by us for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE SHIPPING on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Our photographs are taken in extreme close-up to show you every tiny detail. Any blemishes are greatly magnified and typically they aren’t noticeable to the naked eye. Reflections caused by our bright lighting can cast to dark spots and discoloured areas that don't exist in real life.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over £150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway, please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, Amethyst.