A lovely quality antique sterling silver St. Johns cross fob pendant with good clear British hallmarks for 1896.
This charming cross is decorated in a pretty engraved floral pattern, a round cartouche in the centre is engraved in richly monogramed initials "GWB" and a large heavy duty silver jump ring is soldered onto the bale at the top.
The Cross of St. John or Cross Pattée is a Christian symbol used in heraldic coat of arms since medieval times. It was a popular jewellery motif in Victorian Britain where it remains a symbol of protection, representing courage, honour and bravery.
A very sweet piece of antique jewellery and a classic amulet, good for the gents or the ladies!.
MATERIALS: sterling silver
MEASUREMENTS: stands approx. 1-3/4" high (4.5cm) measured with the ring and 1-1/4" (3cm) wide. The top ring measures 10mm x 1.5mm thick
WEIGHT: 9.7 grams
HALLMARKS: stamped lion passant for sterling silver, anchor for Birmingham, date letter gothic 'W' for 1896 and makers mark 'W.J.D'
DATE: Victorian, dated 1896
CONDITION: in good antique condition with surface wear and signs of age as expected, please see the photos (the chain is not included)
At Mercy Madge we offer antique and vintage jewellery that is special and each piece is hand selected by us for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone! All of our jewellery is sympathetically cleaned and polished and ready for you to wear and enjoy.
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all items will arrive gift wrapped in a custom Mercy Madge jewellery presentation box.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.