An absolutely superb Victorian sterling silver large sized locket decorated in a different pattern on each side so you have 2 antique lockets in one.
Beautifully detailed and dimensional the locket is intricately engraved, one side has vines of ivy, a belt & buckle motif and the owners initials "L.M.W" with the reverse engraved in a foliage pattern. A beaded border frames the engraved patterns and a scalloped pie crust edge adds to the pretty decoration.
The locket is further enhanced with a decorative arch bale and a thick jump ring attached to a dog-clip so you can attach it to any type of chain you wish. In the Victorian era these large lockets were fashionable attached to silver book chain collar necklaces, long guard chains and even Albertina watch chains. The locket opens from the side to reveal 2 stations for photos along with the original picture rings and paper liners.
A fabulously versatile piece and full of romantic symbolism the clinging ivy represents affectionate attachment, fidelity and eternity, while the belt and buckle offer safety and protection. These romantic lockets were often given as loving gifts to sweethearts and brides. A truly exquisite Victorian locket, bound to bring endless joy to its new owner.
MATERIALS: sterling silver
MEASUREMENTS: 2-5/8" (6.6cm) tall measured from the top of the dog-clip to the bottom of the locket, 1-1/2" (4cm) wide and 10mm deep
HALLMARKS: none, acid tests to 925 sterling silver
DATE: Victorian circa 1870
WEIGHT: 16.8 grams
CONDITION: in beautiful condition with light surface wear in keeping with age, please see the photos. The interior is coated in a thin layer of black lacquer which is rubbed showing the silver underneath. The hinge is in perfect order with the locket closing tightly.
At Mercy Madge we offer antique and vintage jewellery that is special and each piece is hand selected by us for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Our photographs are taken in extreme close-up to show you every tiny detail. Any blemishes are greatly magnified and typically they aren’t noticeable to the naked eye. Reflections caused by our bright lighting can cast to dark spots and discoloured areas that don't exist in real life.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over £150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway, please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.