This extra long antique Victorian bar brooch is carved out of Whitby Jet, an ancient mineral gemstone found in and around the cliffs in Whitby, a seaside hamlet in England famed for producing the best Jet in the world. Just imagine adorning yourself in a 180 million year old gemstone!
This is a type of brooch would have likely been used to fasten a sash at the hip during the mid to late 1800s. Queen Victoria had set a trend for wearing a sash over the shoulder and across the bosom but these days it makes for a unique and elegant pin to anchor your scarf or pashmina.
The jet is carved in a classic faceted pattern, it is austere without being plain and it would have been an essential and versatile piece of mourning jewellery back in the day. Whitby Jet is synonymous with Victorian mourning, so strict was British etiquette that upon the death of King George VI in 1830 the government issued an official decree that proclaimed "the only ornamentation that shall be worn shall be of jet"
A heavy duty silver tone metal pin back with a tubular hinge, and c-clasp complete this classic and affordable piece of Victorian Whitby jet jewellery, highly collectible and good for the gents or the ladies!
GEMSTONE: Whitby Jet
MEASUREMENTS: 2-1/2" (6.5cm) across, 8mm wide, 7.5mm deep
CONDITION: in excellent antique condition with no damage to the Jet and the pin back in perfect working order
DATE: circa 1860
WEIGHT: 6.4 grams
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Whitby Jet, Silver Tone Metal.