A superb genuine necklace pendant by the master Taxco silversmith William Spratling with an impeccable provenance. If you have ever longed to own a museum quality treasure by the legendary Spratling then here is your opportunity, this is an authentic early piece and not a copy.
A true work of art the massive hand crafted heavy silver pendant is set with amethysts in a teat shapes which, is the original cut for the stones. The pre-columbian design is Spratling's iconic "Aztec Sunburst" and is featured in the Morrill and Berk book Mexican Silver". The pendant features two bails to balance the weight when worn on the chain as a necklace and a pin back should you wish to wear it as a brooch.
MATERIALS: Sterling silver,
GEMSTONES: Natural amethysts, A large 16mm central stone surrounded by ten 8mm smaller stones.
MEASUREMENTS: The pendant measures a full 3 inches in diameter approx. 75mm
DATE: 1930 - 1940 MARKS: WS in a circle, Spratling Made in Mexico and Spratling Silver. Marks used for the period dating 1931-1945.
WEIGHT: 72.6 grams.
CONDITION: Excellent, this piece has been extremely well cared for with no flaws and no damage or chipping to the stones. The pin back is original and in perfect working order.
PROVENANCE: This pendant is from the personal collection of Lolly Commanday. Lolly was one of the top American collectors of Taxco silver and many of her pieces are featured in books. This pendant was acquired in North Carolina from her 'living' estate auction before she passed away.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.