The industrial revolution brought a sentimental longing to the Victorians for a return to a simpler more natural life in the countryside and nowhere was this more apparent than in the jewelry designs of the day.
This exquisite gem set and engraved honey bee signet ring is a perfect example of this romantic nostalgic style. It is also one of the most unique and charming antique signet rings that we have ever had the pleasure in offering. The signet ring is akin to a signature in that it is representative of its wearer in some way so we can safely presume this Victorian lady loved nature!
Circa 1860 and rendered in solid gauge 9ct yellow gold the ring face features a charming engraved bee motif on the front inlaid with 3 tiny mine cut diamonds, 2 rose cut garnets and a little seed pearl. A gold barley sugar twist border frames the bee. The back is contoured behind the face so it curves around the finger and a wide D-shaped band completes the ring. This is not a dainty ring as such, it is fairly substantial ring but the contoured under gallery and gently curved band make it extremely comfy and practical for modern wear.
MATERIALS: 9ct yellow gold.
GEMSTONES: Presidium tested, 3 mine cut diamonds, 2 rose cut garnets, 1 natural pearl.
RING SIZE: Size US 6/UK L/EU 52 with sizing available for an additional fee.
MEASUREMENTS: 16mm diameter for the face with the band 5mm wide. Stands 5.2mm from finger.
DATE: 1860, Victorian.
WEIGHT: 4.75 grams
HALLMARKS: Stamped '9ct' inside band.
CONDITION: In excellent antique condition with only gentle signs of age and absolutely no flaws. A fine and very desirable specimen of mid Victorian insect jewelry!
Each item in our shop is carefully hand selected by us, for you. The pieces of jewelry we offer are old treasures and we rarely find two identical, once they are gone, they are truly gone and you may never find another!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive beautifully packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.