Hallmarked in 1918 this superb quality antique English silver and gold fancy double watch chain & fob was made by William Hair Hassler who was a partner in the prestigious retail store Liberty & Co. London. Hair-Hassler produced most of Liberty's silverware & jewellery including Liberty's ‘Cymric’ range and works designed by Archibald Knox in their Birmingham workshops until 1926 so we would love to think this fabulous piece of antique jewellery was originally bought in Liberty!
This heavy piece can be worn as a pocket watch chain as originally intended or it works perfectly as a one-of-a-kind necklace and wraps around the wrist for effortless wear as a ravishing antique bracelet, such a unique and versatile piece of jewellery! The watch chain is composed of double strands of tightly woven curb links and it is adorned in a marvelous large shield shaped crest fob in the centre. The fob is beautifully engraved and detailed, it is decorated in rose gold overlay on one side with the other plain silver and is monogramed 'RJS'
The chain terminates with a dog-clip at one end and a bolt ring at the other and it has the requisite T-bar in the centre to slip through a button-hole. A delightfully decorative and impressive watch chain, we do think this is a pretty chain made for the ladies - it is a feminine 'Albertina' as opposed to the utilitarian gents version the 'Albert' pocket watch chain
MATERIALS: sterling silver throughout, 9ct gold
MEASUREMENTS: 16-1/2" (42cm) laid flat end to end. Fob drop length 2-1/8" (5.5cm), fob measures 2" (4.5cm) tall, 1-1/4"(3cm) wide. Chain links 4mm wide, T-bar 1-1/2" (4cm), dog-clip 21x8mm, bolt ring 9.5mm
WEIGHT: 51.6 grams
HALLMARKS: fob stamped 'lion passant' for sterling, 'anchor' for Birmingham, date letter 't' for 1918, 'WHH' for William Hair Hassler. T-bar stamped 'SS' for sterling and 'SHH' , clip stamped 'sterling silver'
ERA: Edwardian, circa 1918
CONDITION: in very, very good condition, with light surface wear and scratches as expected in an antique piece, please see the photos.
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all items will arrive gift wrapped in a custom Mercy Madge jewellery presentation box.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, 9ct Gold.