A sublime antique Victorian guard chain crafted in rich warm yellow 15ct rolled gold. A statement in femininity this beautiful chain is a classic "Belcher" and top quality. The elegant round links are faceted in a diamond pattern which adds a lovely sparkle to this graceful chain.
The chain terminates at the end in a swivel dog-clip which is hinged and unscrews to open it. A unique and extremely secure fastener, we have never seen another one quite like it and it took us a while to figure out how to open it. Perhaps it was used to secretly lock something very important to the chain!
At a full 55" inches long this versatile chain is a luxurious bright buttery gold colour and has interest whether worn long or doubled. Add a locket or pendant, a charm or a fob! During the Georgian and Victorian eras these versatile chains were one of several jewels worn at the same time and they were used to attach and keep close to hand all manner of necessary things like pocket watches, lorgnettes and even portrait miniatures. The pendant shown in the photos is available for purchase separately.
A wonderful antique 15ct rolled gold chain that you will treasure forever. Antique rolled gold is typically of very high quality. It was made by mechanically bonding a heavy layer of solid gold over a base metal (often silver) and the resulting finish (100x thicker than gold plating) is saturated in colour and very durable. It looks and feels like solid gold jewellery without breaking the bank!
MATERIALS: 15ct rolled gold throughout
MEASUREMENTS: Measures 55" (140cm) in total length (27-1/2"/70cm down each side), links 2.3mm, swivel clip 20x6.5cm
WEIGHT: 17.8 grams.
DATE: Victorian, circa 1860
CONDITION: in excellent antique condition with light tarnish and minor surface wear as expected. There is no wearing away of the thick gold overlay, we did think this might be a solid gold piece until we tested it. The chain is free flowing with no broken links and the screw mechanism and hinge inside the clip is in perfect working order!
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only, and are not included in the purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in one of our custom Mercy Madge jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over £125/$150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Rolled Gold Chain, Solid 9ct Gold Clip.