This large size antique English 9ct gold cross hails from the Victorian era around 1880.
It is skillfully engraved and chased with a different sentimental and meaningful pattern on each side. Victorian jewelry is full of symbolism which is often overlooked today!
One side of the cross is engraved with an English daisy in the center "the day's eye" symbolising innocence along with ferns representing frankness, sincerity and humility. The edge is engraved in a saw tooth pattern. The other side is engraved in an ivy pattern, symbolizing eternity and fidelity, along with a solid line border.
The cross is hollow (repousse) and constructed in sections that have been joined together to give a nice box like dimensional effect. Lovely workmanship!
The cross measures 1-3/4 inches high, not including the bail, and a full 1 inch across with a depth of 5.4mm. It weighs 2.68 grams.
Condition is excellent antique with no dents or dings and only gentle signs of age and wear. There are no visible hallmarks and it tests as solid 9ct gold throughout including the large thick gauge bail.
We have added a new 18" vermeil (gold plated sterling silver) belcher/rolo chain for immediate wear. Our chains are manufactured in the Italy, they are super quality and are fully hallmarked.
Each item in our shop is carefully hand selected by us, for you. The pieces of jewelry we offer are old treasures and we rarely find two identical, once they are gone, they are truly gone and you may never find another!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive beautifully packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.