A beautiful large size Victorian 15ct gold engraved cross pendant with a different design on each side. The cross is hollow (repousse) and constructed in sections that have been joined together to give a nice box like dimensional effect. The old yellow gold has the lovely rosy hue you often see in antique gold.
One side of the cross is engraved with an English daisy in the center. Known as "the day's eye" the daisy symbolizes innocence, it is surrounded by ferns representing frankness, sincerity and humility. The edge is engraved in a saw tooth pattern. The other side is engraved in an ivy pattern, symbolizing eternity and fidelity, framed with a solid line border. Lovely workmanship, Victorian jewelry is full of symbolism which is often overlooked today!
MATERIALS: Cross, 15ct gold, acid tests to 14-15ct, bail 9ct gold
MEASUREMENTS: 1-5/8" (42mm) high and a full 1 inch across (25mm) with a depth of 5.5mm. The large gold jump ring is 8.5mm so it will accommodate a wide variety of chain weights (please note the chain pictured is not included in purchase).
DATE: Victorian, circa 1880
WEIGHT: 2.68 grams.
CONDITION: In very good antique condition showing minimal wear, there is a tiny hairline split at the edge of the gold on the daisy side that is really only visible under magnification. There may or may not be a tiny repair to the central axis on the ivy side but it is just as likely to be a quirk that you see in antique jewelry that is not mass produced. Please see photos.
Each item in our shop is carefully hand selected by us, for you. The pieces of jewelry we offer are old treasures and we rarely find two identical, once they are gone, they are truly gone and you may never find another!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive beautifully packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.