This beautiful Victorian 9ct yellow gold locket is crafted as an exquisite book or bible. Superbly detailed down to it's etched 'spine' it is engraved in a different design on each side so you can wear it with either side facing to vary the look.
One side features dark blue enamelled ivy motifs and the other is engraved in a lovely forget-me-not floral pattern with a blank shield cartouche in the centre should you want to engrave it for a personal touch. To the sentimental Victorians the clinging ivy symbolised everlasting love and these romantic engraved lockets were often given as love tokens.
The locket opens to reveal a deep box frame on one side to insert a weave of hair or other tiny precious keepsake. There is a black silk covered cardboard liner inside thats serves as a beautifully decorative placeholder. The other side benefits from the original gold picture ring and "perspex" glass cover ready for a cherished photo.
A gorgeous antique locket in a hard to find book form, superb quality and steeped in old world charm and sentiment!
MATERIALS: 9ct gold
MEASUREMENTS: 1" (2.5cm) high, 3/4" wide (1.9cm) wide, 4mm deep
DATE: circa, 1860, Victorian
WEIGHT: 6.4 grams
HALLMARKS: none, acid tested and verified 9ct gold
CONDITION: in lovely antique condition throughout, the enamelling is intact, there's a little aged tarnish on the soldering inside the locket and it closes securely to keep your precious contents safe.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique antique jewellery. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all items will arrive gift wrapped in a custom Mercy Madge jewellery presentation box.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: 9ct gold, Enamel.