A highly unusual and quite large antique Scottish brooch showcasing a dramatic scenic moss/lace agate stone.
The brooch is crafted in sterling silver and 9ct gold. It has a silver frame at the back with gold beads and scrolls decorating the front at the top and bottom. 2 tiny gold flowers accent the sides and triple gold claws decorate each corner.
The brooch is set with a large rectangular Scottish agate gemstone. The agate is transparent and densely packed in rust coloured lacy filaments. This distinctive specimen stone evokes the colour and craggy textures of the wild Scottish moorlands perfectly.
Open at the back to allow the passage of light through and add even more drama to the unique stone it has a c-clasp, tubular hinge, and heavy duty pin stem.
The Victorians were absolutely fascinated with the natural world and these picturesque examples of Scottish agates were sought after and treasured fueled by Queen Victoria's great love and affection for Scotland and the jewelry created there. She set a fashion trend for this Scottish "pebble" jewellery which became highly collectable and it still remains that way today!
MATERIALS: sterling silver, 9ct gold, acid tested
GEMSTONE: scenic moss/lacy agate
DATE: 1870, Victorian
MEASUREMENTS: 2-1/4" (6cm) across and 2" (5cm) top to bottom
WEIGHT: 15.7 grams
CONDITION: very, very good condition showing light wear and signs of age as expected in an antique piece. Minor loss to the decorative claws at the corners which isn't particularly noticeable nor does it affect wear, the stone, which is free of any damage, is secure in the mount and won't fall out. An absolutely fabulous example of antique Scottish jewelry.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: 9ct Gold, Sterling Silver, Scottish Agate.