Hallmarked in 1884 this classic Victorian Aesthetic locket is hand-engraved in a beautiful swallow motif. A classic "sweetheart" piece, swallows are birds that mate for life, they are associated with love and loyalty and were a beloved motif in Victorian jewellery.
The locket is showing her age, made in gold plated sterling silver with much of the plating worn off she is now a pale gold colour. The plating loss is greatly magnified in the close-up photos so it does look better in real life. Apart from the surface wear to the plating the locket is in quite good condition, it shuts tightly with a satisfying snap and still has the original picture frames still inside.
We have added a new Italian gold plated sterling silver Belcher chain so this sweetly sentimental Victorian locket is ready to wear right out of the box, she deserves to be treasured again!
MATERIALS: gold plated sterling silver
MEASUREMENTS: locket 1-1/2" (3.6cm) tall with the bale, 1" wide (2.6cm), 10mm deep. Chain 18" (45cm)
DATE: circa 1880, Victorian
WEIGHT: 8.8 grams
HALLMARKS: locket 'lion passant' for sterling, 'anchor' for Birmingham, date letter 'k' for 1884 and makers mark 'H.W'. Chain stamped '925'
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of quality antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, Gold.